A friend of mine recently started college, and seemed like she needed something fun for her dorm. :3 So I decided to ship her a Donnie plush- and thought I’d spruce up the box as well!
I’m working my way back through season 1 of TMNT, and… wow. I’m just falling in love with these characters all over again. There’s so many little details that you don’t notice until you’ve been watching the show for a while.
I was too shy to actually hug him, but we did get into a whole conversation about the signs in our front yard ((my mom has those “My child is a ______ student!” things - there’s one for band, and one for choir in our yard)) where he asked which I was in ((band)), and then he congratulated me for graduating. :) Then we talked about the tshirt I’m wearing ((which actually has two of my long distance best friends’ school’s name on it. :)
….WHETHER YOU ARE A TMNT FAN OR NOT!
- The turtles are actually given a lot more to their personality than just one or two stand-out traits. They’re complex and interesting.
- They’ve brought the concept “up to date” with modern times from laptops to smartphones, internet, and you name it.
- The humor and jokes are actually funny and amusing.
- Kickass female characters who don’t just need to be protected. They fight. They can and will kick your ass. For once, April is sassy and stubborn as nails.
- Leonardo fucking fanboys over a show that is a clear spoof of Star Trek, including quoting direct lines, taking inspiration from it, and watching reruns.
- They actually act like teenagers instead of grown men-turtle mutants. It’s refreshing.
- Mikey. He’s a reason all by himself. He shouldn’t be allowed to be this adorable.
- They also watch a TV show that is badly dubbed anime. Casey Jones even comments on this in one episode.
- THERE IS A LARP EPISODE. I shit you not. Complete with a Dungeons and Dragons game, Lord of the Rings references, a Labyrinth reference, and more.
- Did I mention the show is jam-packed with references in general?
- The fourth wall is broken in canon.
- CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.
- Gratuitous Japanese, particularly from Splinter.
- Memorable characters, even some of the lesser ones. Many of which make surprising re-appearances.
- Lots of action, but it never gets to the point of being too serious or too focused on nothing but the fighting.
- Donatello’s geeky tangents. He’s adorkable in general.
- Raphael being so tsundere it hurts. Also, a Jerk With A Heart of Gold.
- Appreciates familial and friendship relationships as strong bonds and very much in focus throughout the series.
- Donatello’s obvious crush on April and the way his brothers make fun of it.
- Casey Jones is likable. No, I’m serious. And his bro relationship with Raph is amazing.
- Lots of interesting themes and morals, including sentimentality and mercy being a strength rather than a weakness.
- Ice cream kitty.
- Good writing. Very entertaining. Suspenseful. Heartwarming. And cliffhangers will leave you wanting more.
- WHY AREN’T YOU WATCHING THIS YET?
- Fine, here’s the Tropes Page, too. Enjoy.
Pizza Guy: Here’s your pizza.
((Update - it was a sweet old man. :) He gave me my pizza and I apologized profusely until I saw a space on the receipt that you could fill in for a tip. :D So I did that!))
I ordered a pizza a few minutes ago and paid over the phone. I just now realized that I don’t have any cash for the deliver person’s tip.
a quick and sloppy tutorial on drawing profiles for the anon who requested it. hope this helps some people!
Some harsh but very very true words
When people let me review their portfolios (on career day or open days at my game design school) I explicitly ban them from commenting during the review… …because otherwise they will follow the impulse to downplay everything I see in an attempt at being humble.
"this is an old image…"
"I’m not happy with that one…"
"this is just a sketch…"
"I did this really quickly…"
"there is better stuff on later pages…"
It’s totally understandable to have those impulses. The quality of art is not empirical data and therefore impossible to measure. Good art, bad art, it all comes down to standards. And you don’t want to come off as naive or self-absorbed.
But just don’t do it. Don’t talk yourself down in front of others. In the best case you have someone supportive who now thinks “damn, this person needs to be prepped up all the time. Do I really want to work with somebody like that” or in worst case “now that you say it, yeah, this is kinda lame/rushed/unfinished/lazy, go away.”
You can only submit what you have. If that is not enough, then it’s not enough. Your attitude will not change that. But if it is enough, you can do serious harm by not being confident of who you are now.
This means appreciating what you are able to do right now and have a clear vision of what you want to learn, be confident that you will learn it in time.
This is really important. Eliminate this urge. Eliminate it professionally, when having contact with people in a position to buy your work. Eliminate it socially, when you just share your work for fun. Destroy this urge as thoroughly as you possibly can.
Because when you have done that, you’ll find that you feel at least 25% less shitty about your own work. You lose the urge to do it. You stop reinforcing those negative thoughts, and they retreat. They may never go away completely (although they might!) but this is good practice for ignoring those thoughts flat-out.
Don’t shit-talk yourself. Even if you can’t be SO PROUD, don’t ever try to influence anyone’s opinion toward your work in the negative.
Try to love your work. Try to see what you learned from each piece, even if it’s a failure. If you feel that you learned nothing, appreciate the fact that just spending time on it is honing your skills and giving you valuable practice.
i used to be super not-confident in my own work. When I stopped pointing out the flaws in my own stuff, I felt better about it almost immediately.
The piece of advice I got that helped me the most with this is; the people looking at your work be it your director or an HR person, trust them to know and see the good work there that you’ve become desensitized to. We all have rushed shots and stuff, they can see the polished diamond inside of a rock, it’s literally their job! So don’t fret too much!
every class is art class if you dont care enough
Strongly debating whether or not to add Splinter into this pic… It already has the four guys, plus Casey, April, and Ice Cream Kitty. Plus, I’ve only drawn Splinter once before. Not sure if I want to risk messing the pic up.
Karai and the Shredder - “I Hate You / I Love You”
I really, really wanted to make a video about the mixed feelings Karai must have for the man who raised her. So here it is. Enjoy!
The song is an edited version of “I Hate You” from the new musical “If/Then”, starring Idina Menzel. It’s been cut and mixed with clips from the show, and other lines from Kelly Hu. Full credits at end.
This will go nowhere so let’s start.
Hi, I’m Aubrey
Hi Aubrey. I’m Sarah.
hi sarah. im caroline
Hi Caroline, I’m Ciera
Hi Ciera, Im Emily.
hi Emily, I’m Haley
Hi Hayley, I’m Jillian
Hi Jillian, Im Camila
Hi Camila, I’m Piper
Hi Piper, I’m Nicole.
Hi Nicole, I’m Camille
Hi Camille, I’m Cassandra
Hi Cassandra, I’m Sabrina.
Hi Sabrina, I’m Lillian
Hi Lillian, I’m Dreama
Hi Dreama, I’m Lari.
Hi Lari, I’m Savannah! :D
That’s not really a fair question. I love each of my brothers equally, but I have a … ya know, stronger bond with some over different things. Mikey can always make me laugh, even when I’m really mad. Raph calls us the “Trouble Twins” for some reason… XD Leo and I have a weird relationship. We argue like cats and dogs over stupid things, but I know that he loves me and just wants to protect me. Donnie is a great listener - he is always there for me when I need someone to talk to, and can usually give me a rational answer to things - even if I don’t always like his answer.
((Note: Because of the mutagen in their blood and the fact that they mutated as infants, the guys do not show their age much. In other words, they can grow bulkier and will eventually deteriorate while still maintaining a youthful appearance. Of all of them, Donnie remains appearing the youngest even though he now towers at a little over six feet. April, Casey, and everyone else will surpass them in showing their age - something that drives April crazy. XD The guys are in their late twenties/early thirties here.))